- CPDL #18286:
- Editor: Diana Thompson (submitted 2008-11-12). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 85 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed up a minor third for trebles and means.
- CPDL #06034: (Finale 2002)
- Editor: Paul R. Marchesano (submitted 2003-11-15). Score information: Letter, 9 pages, 220 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: See discussion page for alternative interpretations (not necessarily errors).
Title: Videte miraculum
Composer: Thomas Tallis
Number of voices: 6vv Voicings: SSAATB or SATTBB
Genre: Sacred, Motet, Responsory for Candlemas
Instruments: A cappella
Original text and translations
Respond at 1st Vespers, Purification of the BVM
Videte miraculum matris Domini:
concepit virgo virilis ignara consortii,
stans onerata nobili onere Maria;
et matrem se laetam cognosci,
quae se nescit uxorem.
Haec speciosum forma prae filiis hominum
castis concepit visceribus,
et benedicta in aeternum
Deum nobis protulit et hominem.
Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto.
Translation by Mick Swithinbank
Behold the miracle of the mother of the Lord:
a virgin has conceived though she knows not a man,
Mary, who stands laden with her noble burden;
knowing not that she is a wife,
she rejoices to be a mother.
She has conceived in her chaste womb
one who is beautiful beyond the sons of men,
and blessed for ever,
she has brought forth God and man for us.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost.