Was mein Gott will, das g'scheh allzeit (Hugo Distler)
- Editor: Charles Pearson (submitted 2017-09-18). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 304 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: English lyrics: May God's will ever come to pass :MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Charles Pearson (submitted 2017-09-18). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 312 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: :MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Description: Trust motet, 4 vv., strophic.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Was mein Gott will.
1. May God's will ever come to pass,
His will is best and righteous;
to those whose faith is fixed
and fast He offers aid that's timeless.
He helps us when we call on Him,
and lovingly corrects us.
But trust in Him and rest in Him,
He never will neglect us.
2. God is my comfort, confidence,
my life, my hope, protection;
whate'er He wills in consequence
should be my will most surely.
His word is true, for ev'ry hair
upon my head He numbers.
He guards and keeps and never sleeps.
His watchful eye ne'er slumbers.
3. I'll gladly leave this earthly life,
when God's will has ordained it,
repair to God, leave earthly strife
and know that He has willed it.
My soul commit as He sees fit
when my life's breath has faltered.
O gracious Lord, sin, hell,
and death for me You have now conquered.
4. A prayer, O Lord, I now attempt,
and You will not refuse me:
if evil spirits me should tempt,
Lord, let not them confuse me,
but help, direct, defend me, Lord,
that I may praise your name, then.
Who asks, to him it shall be giv'n.
In joy I say now: