Vespro della Beata Vergine (Claudio Monteverdi)
- Editor: John Kilpatrick (submitted 2009-11-30). Score information: A4, 138 pages, 1.48 MB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes:
- Complete performing edition including 7-part Magnificat but excluding 6-part alternative.
- Edition based on the 1610 part-books but in modern clefs and notation; barring by the editor, not taken from other editions.
- Continuo realization included (Monteverdi's bass plus mainly chordal right-hand).
- (continuo requires organ; optional harpsichord suggestions given in short-score; some bassus generalis passages are also given to cello 1 or 2 or to trombone 3)
- Instrumental parts included for all the psalms.
- Lauda & Magnificat transposed down a 4th from apparent pitch.
- Opening intonation included. No antiphons included.
- Available scores & parts:
- Vocal Score (140 pages including covers)
- Full Score in two parts (nos.1-10, 144 pages; nos.11-13, 60 pages)
- Parts for 12 instruments (11 to 16 pages per part)
- Short Score for continuo use (100 pages including covers)
- Words & translation also available for inclusion in vocal scores or programmes (4 pages, reducable to A5)
Title: Vespro della Beata Vergine (Vespers of 1610)
- cornetts 1 & 2 (or D trumpets)
- cornett 3 (or Bb cornet/trumpet)
- trombones 1 & 2
- trombone 3 (Bass in F; or bass in G if low C played in falsett)
- violins 1 & 2
- violas 1 & 2
- cellos 1 & 2
- organ and optionally other continuo
- recorders 1 & 2 (short passages ideally played by other instrumentalists or singers)
Description: The work comprises the following pieces presented in this order.
- 1. Deus in adjutorium/Domine ad adjuvandum (intonation & response); SSATTB
- 2. Dixit Dominus (psalm 109/110); SSATTB
- 3. Nigra Sum (motet); tenor solo
- 4. Laudate Pueri (psalm 112/113); SSAATTBB
- 5. Pulchra Es (motet): soprano duet
- 6. Lætatus Sum (psalm 121/122); SSATTB
- 7. Duo Seraphim (motet); tenor duet, tenor trio
- 8. Nisi Dominus (psalm 126/127); SATTB-SATTB
- 9. Audi Cœlum (motet); tenor duet, SSATTB
- 10. Lauda Jerusalem (psalm 147); SAB-T-SAB
- 11. Sonata Sopra Sancta Maria (instrumental + soprano); soprano semi-chorus
- 12. Ave Maris Stella (hymn); soli & SATB-SATB
- 13. Magnificat a 7; multi-section with various soli & SSATTBB [Magnificat a 6: SSATTB]