- (Posted 2017-08-06) CPDL #45760:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-08-06). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 59 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note heads converted to oval shapes. All six stanzas included. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- (Posted 2017-08-06) CPDL #45759:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2017-08-06). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 40 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Six stanzas included.
First Line: Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song
Composer: Alexander Johnson
Lyricist: John Stocker (attributed)
Number of voices: 3vv Voicing: STB
Genre: Sacred Meter: 11 11. 11 11
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1818 in Johnson's Tennessee Harmony, for three voices: Treble-Tenor-Bass
Description: Words attributed to John Stocker, published in 1776, with six stanzas.
Original text and translations
1. Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song,
The joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue;
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last,
Hath won my affections and bound my soul fast.
2. Without thy free mercy I could not live here
Sin soon would reduce me to utter despair;
But, through thy free goodness, my spirits revive,
And he that first made me, still keeps me alive.
3. Thy mercy surpasses the sin of my heart
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart,
Dissolved by thy goodness, I fall to the ground
And weep to the praise of the mercy I found.
4. The door of thy mercy stands open all day
to the needy and poor, who knock by the way;
No sinner shall ever be empty sent back,
Who comes seeking mercy for Jesus' dear sake.
5. Thy mercy in Jesus exempts me from hell;
Its glories I'll sing, and its wonders I'll tell:
'Twas Jesus the friend when he hung on the tree
That opened the channel of mercy for me.
6. Great Father of mercies, thy goodness I own,
And covenant love of thy crucified son:
All praise to the spirit, whose action divine
Seals mercy and pardon and righteousness mine.