The Trumpet (J. Williams)
- Editor: William Long (submitted 2006-07-19). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: The Trumpet
Composer: J. Williams
Description: treble and alto parts by William Walker
1. The chariot! the chariot! its wheels roll in fire,
As the Lord cometh down in the pomp of his ire!
Lo! selfmoving it drives on its pathway of cloud,
And the heav'ns with the burden of Godhead are bowed.
2. The glory! the glorry! around him are poured
Mighty hosts of the angels that wait on the Lord;
And the glorified saints and the martyrs are there,
And there all who the palmwreaths of victory wear.
3. The trumpet! the trumpet! the dead all have heard,
Lo! the depths of the stonecovered charnel are stirred:
From the sea, from the earth, from the south, from the north,
And the vast generations of man are come forth.
4. The judgment! the judgment! the thrones are all set,
Where the Lamb and the whitevested elders are met;
There all flesh is at once in the sight of the Lord,
And the doom of eternity hangs on his word.
5. O mercy! O mercy! look down from above,
Great Creator, on us, thy sad children, with love;
When beneath to their darkness the wicked are driv'n,
May our justified souls find a welcome in heav'n.