The God of love my Shepherd is (Thomas Tallis)
|It has been suggested that this page or section be merged into Nine Psalm Tunes for Archbishop Parker's Psalter - Third Tune (Thomas Tallis).|
- (Posted 2020-02-26) CPDL #57202:
- SATB and Organ:
- Midi Practice Files (part as piano):
- MP3 Practice Files (part as piano):
- 2 Part and Organ:
- Midi Practice Files (part as piano): ::Soprano Tenor
- MP3 Practice Files (part as piano): ::Soprano Tenor
- Editor: William Chimiak (submitted 2020-02-26). Score information: Letter, 2 pages Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Thanks to James Gibb for his work that was used. MusicXML source file(s) is (are) in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-01-16). Score information: A4, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file(s) is (are) in compressed .mxl format.
Description: George Herbert's metrical version of Psalm 23, set to Tallis's 3rd Psalm tune, but with the melody in the Soprano, not the Tenor.
Original text and translations
1. The God of love my Shepherd is,
And he that doth me feed;
While he is mine and I am his,
What can I want or need?
He leads me to the tender grass,
Where I both feed and rest;
Then to the streams that gently pass:
In both I have the best.
2. Or if I stray, he doth convert,
And bring my mind in frame;
And all this not for my desert,
But for his holy name.
Yea, in death's shady black abode
Well may I walk, not fear;
For thou art with me; and thy rod
To guide, thy staff to bear.
3. Nay, thou dost make me sit and dine,
Ev'n in my enemies' sight:
My head with oil, my cup with wine
Runs over day and night.
Surely thy sweet and wondrous love
Shall measure all my days;
And, as it never shall remove,
So neither shall my praise.