- (Posted 2016-11-06) CPDL #41720:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-06). Score information: A4, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Title: St Magnus
Composer: Jeremiah Clarke
Lyricist: Thomas Kelly
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
Original text and translations
1. The head that once was crowned with thorns
is crowned with glory now:
a royal diadem adorns
the mighty Victor's brow.
2. The highest place that heaven affords
is his, is his by right,
the King of kings, and Lord of lords,
and heaven's eternal light;
3. the joy of all who dwell above,
the joy of all below,
to whom he manifests his love,
and grants his name to know.
4. To them, the Cross, with all its shame,
with all its grace, is given:
their name an everlasting name,
their joy the joy of heaven.
5. The suffer with their Lord below,
they reign with him above;
their profit and their joy to know
the mystery of his love.
6. The Cross he bore is life and health,
though shame and death to him;
his people's hope, his people's wealth,
their everlasting theme.