Kittery (William Billings)
- Editor: Jon Arnold (submitted 2016-07-27). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 129 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Added piano reduction and 3 additional verses not published by Billings but from same source as 1st verse. Suggest printing so that page turn is after page 2 due to repeats. ZIP contains Lilypond notation file and rehearsal MIDIs for each part.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2014-06-26). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 33 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval-note edition. Based on the publication of the tune in William Billings' The Suffolk Harmony, Boston: 1786.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2014-04-23). Score information: Letter (landscape), 1 page, 31.27 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape).
This tune was first published on p17 of the first edition of Oliver Brownson's Select Harmony, 1783, with the title 'Kettery'. It was republished under the heading 'Kittery. Words from Dr. Watts.' on pp. 12-14 of William Billings' collection The Suffolk Harmony, Boston: 1786.
Despite Billings' attribution of the text to Isaac Watts, it originates from A Supplement to the New Version of Psalms, a collection of hymn texts and tunes intended for use with the 'New Version' metrical psalms of Nahum Tate and Nicholas Brady, first published in 1700.
Hymn Tune Index tune number 4403.
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Our Father who in heaven art.