Julia (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry)
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2008-05-03). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 43 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
First published: 1907
Description: English Lyrics Set 7 No. 5
- On a time the amorous silvy
- Follow a Shadow (Ben Jonson)
- Ye little birds that sit and sing
- O never say that I was false of heart
- Sleep/Beautiful up from the deeps of the solemn sea cometh sweet Sleep (Julian Sturgis)
Original text and translations
Some ask'd me where the rubies grew,
And nothing [I did]* say,
But with my finger pointed to
The lips of Julia.
Some ask'd how pearls did grow, and where?
Then spake I to my girl,
To part her lips, and show me there
The quarelets of pearl.
One ask'd me where the roses grew,
I bade him not go seek;
But forthwith made my Julia show
A bud on either cheek.
Notes: * - Parry substitutes: "did I"
Lyrics: Robert Herrick - ( c 1591 - 1674 )