Born: 22 December 1639
Died: 21 April 1699
Jean Baptiste Racine was a French dramatist, one of the "big three" of 17th century France (along with Molière and Corneille), and one of the most important literary figures in the Western tradition. Racine was primarily a tragedian, though he did write one comedy.
- The above is an excerpt from Wikipedia. For the full article, click here.
Musical settings of literary works
- Cantique de Jean Racine (Mel Bonis)
- Cantique de Jean Racine, Op. 11 (Gabriel Fauré)
- D'un cœur qui t'aime (Charles Gounod)
- L'Eternel est son nom (Franz Liszt)
- Hymne (César Franck)
add web links here