Invocation for Thanksgiving (Walter Janes)
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-08-04). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 125 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-08-04). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 3 pages, 126 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape).
Description: Words by Philip Doddridge, 1755, hymn entitled God's goodness to the Children of Men, based on Psalm 107:31, with six stanzas. Janes used all six stanzas of Doddridge's hymn in his composition; Janes altered a few words in stanzas 2, 3, and 6 of Doddridge's hymn (see below).
Original text and translations
1. Ye sons of men, with joy record
3. Sing, earth, in verdant robes arrayed,
5. But O! that brighter world above,
- (a) Janes has "stars that glow." (b) Janes has "its herb and flower, its fruit."
- (c) Janes has "This theme demands an angel's tongue." (d) Janes has "Demands a never-ending song."