- (Posted 2016-11-29) CPDL #42134:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-29). Score information: A4, 1 page, 28 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- CPDL #15573: (Sibelius 4)
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-30). Score information: A4, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Based on the edition from Cyber Hymnal™ MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Title: Good it is to keep the fast
Composer: John Stainer
Lyricist: Henry Williams Baker
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 77. 77
Published: Tune: Hymns Ancient and Modern, 1875; Lyrics: Gregory I (Clarum decus jejunii); translated from Latin to English by Henry Williams Baker, 1875.
Original text and translations
1 Good it is to keep the fast,
Shadowed forth in ages past,
Which our own Almighty Lord
Hallowed by His deed and Word.
2 Moses, while he fasted, saw
God Who gave by him the law;
To Elijah angels came,
Steeds of fire and car of flame.
3 So was Daniel meet to gaze
On the sight of latter days
And the Baptist to proclaim
Blessings through the Bridegroom’s Name.
4 Grant us, Lord, like them to be
Oft in prayer and fast with Thee;
Fill us with Thy heavenly might,
Be our Joy and true Delight.
5 Father, hear us through Thy Son,
And the Spirit, with Thee One,
Whom our thankful hearts adore,
Ever and forevermore.