Gone were but the winter cold (Charles Hubert Hastings Parry)
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2008-04-06). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 51 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
Description: English Lyrics Set 10 no.2
- My heart is like a singing bird (Christina Georgina Rossetti)
- Gone were but the winter cold
- A Moment of Farewell (Julian Sturgis)
- The Child and the Twilight (L. E.Mitchell)
- From a city window (L. E.Mitchell)
- The Ungentle Guest / One Silent Night of Late (Herrick)
Original text and translations
Gone were but the winter cold,
And gone were but the snow,
I could sleep in the wild woods
Where primroses blow.
Cold 's the snow at my head,
And cold at my feet;
And the finger of death's at my e'en,
Closing them to sleep.
Let none tell my father
Or my mother so dear,
I'll meet them both in heaven
At the spring of the year.