Euge caeli porta (Thomas Tallis)
- Editor: David Fraser (submitted 2014-01-06). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 114 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: In the original key for SATT
- Editor: Matthew Collins (submitted 2011-08-09). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 53 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed down a minor 3rd from G minor to allow for the Soprano line to be sung by a countertenor (set for AATB). The 2nd Alto part has also had minor changes. The word setting whilst remaining fairly intact, has changed slightly.
- Editor: Paul R. Marchesano (submitted 2004-01-30). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 124 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Set for SATB. Translation corrected on score Dec 2008. Second PDF edition transposed down whole step with tenor/bass parts interchanged and tenor lowered one octave overall.
Title: Euge caeli porta
Composer: Thomas Tallis
Description: This is an intriguing score, containing so many odd inversions, especially second inversions. I can't help feeling that it might sound better if the bass part were pitched an octave higher, so that it was mostly above the tenor, serving as another alto part. It would be interesting to compare the score with another source or with an authoritative recording, but I don't have one.
Addition by DF, 6.1.2014 - Paul M is right in that his version with T & B "interchanged" is actually the correct one (at least according to TCM; I don't have access to the original Gyffard Partbooks), suggesting that his original source was defective.
Original text and translations
Euge caeli porta quae nunc aperta veritatis lumen,
Gut so, Himmelstür, die du nun geöffnet das Licht der Welt,
Well done, O gate of heaven, who now opened, leads into the world the Light of Truth,