Born: 24 July 1686
Died: 25 Jul 1739
Benedetto Marcello was an Italian composer, writer, advocate, magistrate, and teacher. Born in Venice, Benedetto Marcello was a member of a noble family and his compositions are frequently referred to as Patrizio Veneto. Although he was a music student of Lotti and Francesco Gasparini, his father wanted Benedetto to devote himself to law.
Indeed, Benedetto combined a life in law and public service with one in music. In 1711 he was appointed member of the Council of Forty (in Venice's central government), and in 1730 he went to Pola as Provveditore (district governor).
Due to his health having been "impaired by the climate" of Istria, Marcello retired after eight years to Brescia in the capacity of Camerlengo and there he died.
- The above is an excerpt from Wikipedia. For the full article, click here.
List of choral works
- Ad onta del timore, S.6
- Canon triplex: In omnem terram exivit sonus eorum
- Entre io tutto ripongo (psalm 10)
- Messa a Capella (Canonica)
- Non m’è grave morir per amore
- Non ti contristi
- Quella fiamma che m'accende
- Thy mercy, Jehovah
- To Thee, O Lord My God
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
add web links here