- (Posted 2016-11-24) CPDL #42029:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-24). Score information: A4, 1 page, 29 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The harmony in the penultimate has been slightly altered by the editor from the version in Cyber Hymnal. MusicXML source file is in compressed .mxl format.
- Editor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-15). Score information: A4, 1 page, 26 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: SATB version in English from the Cyber Hymnal™ - File Sizes: PDF: 26 KB, MIDI: 2 KB, NWC: 2 KB
Title: Awake, O Lord, as in the time of old!
Composer: Samuel Sebastian Wesley
Lyricist: Henry Twells
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 10 10. 10 10
Published: 1719 in W. L.’s Collection of Tunes; 1872 arranged by S. S. Wesley in the European Psalmist.
Description: Henry Twells's lyrics from Hymns and Other Stray Verses, 1901.
Original text and translations
1 Awake, O Lord, as in the time of old!
Come, Holy Spirit, in Thy power and might;
For lack of Thee our hearts are strangely cold,
Our minds but blindly groping towards the light.
2 Doubts are abroad: make Thou these doubts to cease!
Fears are within: set Thou these fears at rest!
Strife is among us: melt that strife to peace!
Change marches onward: may all change be blest!
3 Make us to be what we profess to be;
Let prayer be prayer, and praise be heartfelt praise;
From unreality, O set us free,
And let our words be echoed by our ways.
4 Turn us, good Lord, and so shall we be turned:
Let every passion grieving Thee be stilled:
Then shall our race be won, our guerdon earned,
Our Master looked on, and our joy fulfilled.